Stovetop fire suppression
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
Stovetop fire suppression (by James [GA]) Sep 22, 2022 6:15 PM
       Stovetop fire suppression (by Roy [AL]) Sep 22, 2022 6:25 PM
       Stovetop fire suppression (by Landlord ofthe Flies [TX]) Sep 22, 2022 6:47 PM
       Stovetop fire suppression (by Gene [OH]) Sep 22, 2022 7:33 PM
       Stovetop fire suppression (by Robert J [CA]) Sep 22, 2022 8:13 PM
       Stovetop fire suppression (by Renne [TX]) Sep 23, 2022 12:32 AM

Click here to reply to this discussion.
Click Here to send this discussion to a friend

Stovetop fire suppression (by James [GA]) Posted on: Sep 22, 2022 6:15 PM

Curious if anyone has used any stove stop fire suppression and if you did, what product did you use?

I'm searching for some saving/better insurance and this has come up a few times.

On the same token, there are some units that have nothing but the ceiling above them. If you use suppression, how did you manage the distance requirement?

Stovetop fire suppression (by Roy [AL]) Posted on: Sep 22, 2022 6:25 PM

I have always used the inexpensive range hoods which mount underneath the cabinets above. They are better than nothing. They do caked with cooking grease frequently and cleaning them is no fun.

Stovetop fire suppression (by Landlord ofthe Flies [TX]) Posted on: Sep 22, 2022 6:47 PM

Friend of mine has a stove suppression system and commercial vent hood. It's all restaurant grade and I can't remember name of it. Try searching at restaurant supply.

Stovetop fire suppression (by Gene [OH]) Posted on: Sep 22, 2022 7:33 PM

I seem to remember Robert J [CA] had mentioned being able to buy suppression systems that are attached under the hood. The discussion was probably several years ago.

Stovetop fire suppression (by Robert J [CA]) Posted on: Sep 22, 2022 8:13 PM

Thank you Gene(OH) for chiming in with my prior info. I currently use three different product for Stove Stop Fire Prevention. Here they are:

A product called "STOVESTOP FIRESTOP" and automatic fire suppressor. It is a round 3-1/4" x 2-1/2" canister with a magnetic top to attach to the bottom of your hood. It has a red plastic tab coming out from the bottom that when it gets too hot, it sets off a powder chemical to stop the fire. It comes 2 in a pack and has a long shelf life of around 5 years.

Next product, not as good is the "AUTOFIRE XRT" A Fire Extinguisher Ball. It come with a metal stand. You sit it next to the area to be protected. If a fire starts the ball melts (plastic) and sets of the powder.

The Third Product. An Fire Extinguisher Unit with a special head on it. When heat gets to this extended head, it melts a soldiered disc and opens the valve and the extinguisher goes off. These units have to be recharged and certified every couple of years at a cost of $100 per extinguisher. I purchased a lot of many expired dates and it cost me $100 to get each one going. But new they are expensive. Something like $300-$500 each.

I put these next to gas water heaters in small vented closets. If the tenant put flammable stuff in the water heater closet inside a kitchen cabinet, this prevents a fire from spreading.

They used to make halon devices but this gas was made illegal in California. I used to put a halon device over all of my fire place openings, I built them into the mantle. This saved me 3 or 4 times...

Hope this was helpful Robert --47.156.xx.xx

Stovetop fire suppression (by Renne [TX]) Posted on: Sep 23, 2022 12:32 AM

We use the Stovetop firestop product which Robert J (CA) describes. We have vent hoods or microwaves above all our stoves so we simply hang them underneath those.

We document their presence by pictures as well as written notes at move in and during our twice yearly complimentary home maintenance visits.

We just saved an enormous sum of money by using the insurance company which is a sponsor of this site. They only insure rentals (no homeowner policies) and for what we received, they did not cover water damage. I believe the company is called NREIG.

Click Here to send this discussion to a friend
Report discussion to Webmaster

Subject: RE: Stovetop fire suppression
Your Name:
Your State:

Stovetop fire suppression
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: