Renter's Insurance
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
Renter's Insurance (by rentON [PA]) Oct 8, 2018 10:13 AM
       Renter's Insurance (by JB [OR]) Oct 8, 2018 10:52 AM
       Renter's Insurance (by S i d [MO]) Oct 8, 2018 11:07 AM
       Renter's Insurance (by Robert J [CA]) Oct 8, 2018 11:14 AM
       Renter's Insurance (by Vee [OH]) Oct 8, 2018 5:47 PM

Renter's Insurance (by rentON [PA]) Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 10:13 AM

Would renter's insurance cover replacing a Tenant's dryer if the dryer broke as a result of a flooded basement? I know we require Tenants to maintain renter's insurance but what all does it cover and what is a normal deductible? --67.165.xx.xx

Renter's Insurance (by JB [OR]) Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 10:52 AM

Read the policy.

Insurance seldom covers acts of flooding.

Renter's Insurance (by S i d [MO]) Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 11:07 AM

You'd have to read the individual policy, as JB said. However, there is flooding due to failure of household systems (i.e. the water line broke and my basement got 3 inches of water in it) and there is flooding due to forces of nature (i.e. 3 weeks of water caused the water table to rise and flood your basement as well as the entire town).

So it's not just enough to say "basement flooded". Certain types of water damage are covered; others are not. Read the "exclusions" paragraph(s) carefully.

Also, there isn't really a "normal" deductible for insurance. My guess that the majority of renters carry somewhere between a $0 and $500 deductible, but again, the average does no good if it's insufficient for that specific person's situation. If their washer is worth $400 and they have an "average" deductible of $500, then someone besides the insurance company is buying them a new washer.

My guess is you are tying to limit your liability due to a water loss of some sort. In the future, how about solve all of this with a lease clause: "LL is not responsible for damage to TENANT's personal property. TENANT's desiring coverage for their personal property are strongly advised to purchase a renter's insurance policy."

Renter's Insurance (by Robert J [CA]) Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 11:14 AM

If the flooding was due to a broken water supply line of drain pipe, the owner/landlord would be on the hook. If it were of natural causes like snow storm, then maybe renters insurance would cover the loss. --47.156.xx.xx

Renter's Insurance (by Vee [OH]) Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 5:47 PM

If the basement filled with water from a busted pipe it would be the owner, after she/he fixed the stuck drain and figured out what made it get jammed.

Subject: RE: Renter's Insurance
Your Name:
Your State:

Renter's Insurance
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: