Research Associate
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
Research Associate (by GKARL [PA]) Jan 13, 2018 6:20 PM
       Research Associate (by David [MI]) Jan 13, 2018 6:45 PM
       Research Associate (by Vee [OH]) Jan 13, 2018 6:48 PM
       Research Associate (by Frank [NJ]) Jan 13, 2018 7:01 PM
       Research Associate (by GKARL [PA]) Jan 13, 2018 7:25 PM
       Research Associate (by BRAD 20,000 [IN]) Jan 13, 2018 8:42 PM
       Research Associate (by Barb [MO]) Jan 13, 2018 9:24 PM
       Research Associate (by Robin [WI]) Jan 14, 2018 5:42 AM
       Research Associate (by RathdrumGal [ID]) Jan 14, 2018 7:02 AM
       Research Associate (by NC INVESTOR [NC]) Jan 14, 2018 7:27 AM
       Research Associate (by MJ [OH]) Jan 14, 2018 8:14 AM
       Research Associate (by AllyM [NJ]) Jan 14, 2018 8:18 AM
       Research Associate (by Ray-N-Pa [PA]) Jan 14, 2018 2:52 PM

Research Associate (by GKARL [PA]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 6:20 PM

I have a multi that's in an area that's in transition. This has typically been a C class rental area however, it's near a university. A block north of the area is a very ritzy area that's been revitalized. A block west of me is a bunch of student housing mixed in among C class multis and single families. Someone bought about 5 houses in a row and converted them to student rentals. My block has been somewhat resistant to change and is basically a block of storefronts with apartments above. All of the storefronts are filled with businesses like small restaurants, barber shops, beauty shops, convenience stores and etc. that cater to the locals. The rental prospects I normally get are C class tenants. The college kids and others associated with the college typically don't rent on my block.

Yesterday a guy calls me who just got an appointment as a research associate who wants to live close to the university. He's from India, says he's going to get paid $ 70,000 a year and if I find that everything checks out, he wants to rent immediately. He says he doesn't have an SSN yet but will have one in a couple of weeks. I tell him to bring his letter of appointment and his work visa with him. Obviously, I'm a tad suspicious and without the SSN or history here in the US, I can check nothing, so his application hinges solely on his job and position with the college. Thoughts please?

Also, on the off chance that he checks out, I'm afraid of a short term stay. He's unfamiliar with the area being new and I'm sure that once he settles in at the college, someone will tell him to move to a "better block". I normally do m2m only and I'd hate to do a m2m and have this guy move on me in 3-4 months. I guess I should lock him in with a lease and an ELT. Thoughts?

I'd love to upgrade the tenants in this building. I'm just not sure if the block is ready to transition yet.

Research Associate (by David [MI]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 6:45 PM

better upgrade the kitchen exhaust fan instead

Research Associate (by Vee [OH]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 6:48 PM

Someone has to sponsor him to come here, he won't get a social instantly - 9 years ago it is 7 years waiting, why not take him 8 months prepaid, you put money into an account you pay rent and damages from - send him a statement showing the disburement monthly.

Research Associate (by Frank [NJ]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 7:01 PM

David[MI] has a very strong point. Especially as the guy is "fresh of the boat" so his cooking methods may be alien to you....and to the others in the building.

Am this on one of those H! visa [I think kthats it] that I have heard about?

Research Associate (by GKARL [PA]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 7:25 PM

If he's cooking, he may have me dropping by. I absolutely love Indian food! Just had some this evening.

Research Associate (by BRAD 20,000 [IN]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 8:42 PM


I don't understand why you are concerned about a solid resident coming into your building.

Transition happens one unit or building at a time, usually by people who don't mind the "un-transitioned" surroundings. Which attracts more, leading to transition.

Get a Letter of Intent to Employ. Standard practice among profession jobs.

And true, Indian cooking could push away your exisiting residents. It does here.


Research Associate (by Barb [MO]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2018 9:24 PM

Get offer letter and copy of visa. If those are supplied, probably fine. SSN will be issued at request of university and likely have stipulations on where he can work

He will likely looking for cheap rent and sending most of earnings home unless he is going to be a grad student and that figure includes his tuition stipend.

Research Associate (by Robin [WI]) Posted on: Jan 14, 2018 5:42 AM

$70K is awfully high for a research associate. I'd look up the contact info on the university's website and talk to his boss directly to verify the info.

Research Associate (by RathdrumGal [ID]) Posted on: Jan 14, 2018 7:02 AM

Go to the Sec of State website. His story-- that he will shortly be receiving his SNN -- is 100% accurate. According to the US government, persons with work visas apply for their SSNs while still in their home countries. When they enter the US, they notify the Social Security Admin and receive their SSNs within 3 weeks.

These are the kinds of immigrants our country wants and needs. Intelligent people with good job skills, who follow our laws and pay taxes.

I would rent to him. He would probably be a good source of other university associated tenants.

GKarl, you just hit the jackpot.

Research Associate (by NC INVESTOR [NC]) Posted on: Jan 14, 2018 7:27 AM

There is a world of difference between an ungrad assistant vs. a graduate associate. If he has a degree, and being from India, that is highly likely and is at one the university's in Philadelphia they can earn as much as $115,0000-$135,000. --71.75.xx.xx

Research Associate (by MJ [OH]) Posted on: Jan 14, 2018 8:14 AM

You have a perfect opportunity to start the transition on your block. Start upgrading your units now...a research associate will bring others like him. I have a property in an area that is transitioning and 5 years ago it was worth about 25k. Now it is worth about 300k. I started the transition on my block, now my neighbors are doing it too. Don't be afraid of this guy, check him out like the others said, and then start the upgrades to your other units to attract the others. It all starts with one.

Research Associate (by AllyM [NJ]) Posted on: Jan 14, 2018 8:18 AM

Please make sure his paperwork confirms what he said. I could have had the lead 9/11 terrorist living in one of my units before the attack. His story was that he was a pilot for Eastern Airlines, would pay cash and not be around much. I fortunately rented it to someone else the day before his call. We don't need to be giving bad guys hideouts so they can plan bad things and create a terror cell.

Research Associate (by Ray-N-Pa [PA]) Posted on: Jan 14, 2018 2:52 PM

Just ask for a copy of his I-9 form from his employer.

Make it a standard practice if the applicant doesn't have a SSN. There are many reasons for them not to have one- as long as they operating legally

Subject: RE: Research Associate
Your Name:
Your State:

Research Associate
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: