non -payment of rent
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
non -payment of rent (by Bill W [MN]) Jun 1, 2010 6:21 PM
       non -payment of rent (by p m h [TX]) Jun 1, 2010 6:25 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Peter [NY]) Jun 1, 2010 6:27 PM
       non -payment of rent (by reid [KS]) Jun 1, 2010 6:34 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Mike45 [NV]) Jun 1, 2010 6:35 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Mike45 [NV]) Jun 1, 2010 6:39 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Carol [MI]) Jun 1, 2010 6:44 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Echo [GA]) Jun 1, 2010 6:51 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Robert,Ontario,Canada [ON]) Jun 1, 2010 6:52 PM
       non -payment of rent (by Steve [TX]) Jun 1, 2010 7:46 PM
       non -payment of rent (by TE [TX]) Jun 2, 2010 5:19 AM
       non -payment of rent (by billy [MA]) Jun 2, 2010 6:29 AM

non -payment of rent (by Bill W [MN]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:21 PM

State Specific Question About: MINNESOTA (MN)

I have a rental property in northern MN. The current renter has not paid rent for May or June so far. What can i do? Can i change locks and force him out? What is the best solution? Thanks

non -payment of rent (by p m h [TX]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:25 PM

consider divesting

non -payment of rent (by Peter [NY]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:27 PM

No this is a self help eviction it is illegal. Hire a eviction attorney

non -payment of rent (by reid [KS]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:34 PM

Since you are not familiar with this process get an Eviction Atty that works on a flat rate. Pay attention to what and how he does things so that you will know more about what to do next time. Go to the top of this page and read all there in the LL / tenant state law section Re: Mn

non -payment of rent (by Mike45 [NV]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:35 PM

I will translate p m h's response -- the long-hand version of what he said is that if you are so lacking in the basic knowledge of landlording that you have to ask if you can change the locks for non-payment, maybe you should not be a landlord.

If a Tenant does not pay, you need to evict the tenant. You need to do this through the local courts. In most states, you start off by serving a Notice To Pay Rent Or Quit. But you need an experienced eviction atty to walk you through this process, because if you mess up, you can create very big problems for yourself.

Join a local landlord association that can refer you to a good flat-rate eviction atty, or hope that a MN member of this forum can jump in with a referral for you.

NEVER use self-help remedies like changing the locks or turning off the water or other utilities because of non-payment of rent.

non -payment of rent (by Mike45 [NV]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:39 PM

By the way, if the T's May rent was due on May 1, you have waited far too long before starting to evict. Most of us believe in starting an eviction within a couple of weeks (or less) of the due date.

non -payment of rent (by Carol [MI]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:44 PM

This is all great advise. Don't make a move until you have all the necessary information, because you can get yourself into a lot of trouble if the tenant knows his rights.

Changing the locks is a very bad and costly idea.

non -payment of rent (by Echo [GA]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:51 PM

Why oh why? --68.47.xx.xx

non -payment of rent (by Robert,Ontario,Canada [ON]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 6:52 PM

Go down to the local court house to get the paperwork for a eviction. Make sure all the facts and spelling on the paperwork are correct. Next once one has hearing date then serve the tenant with the papers for a hearing. One can hire a lawyer if one is not comfortable at court. Once at court the tenant will have to pay all the arrears or one will get a writ of possession and judgement for the arrears of rent. Once the move out date on writ of possession is there one can go down to sheriffs office where the tenant leaves then the locks are changed. If the tenant works then one could garnishee the tenants wages for the arrears of rent. A thorough credit check one will avoid a problem tenant who is moving every two or three months by getting evicted from place to place.

non -payment of rent (by Steve [TX]) Posted on: Jun 1, 2010 7:46 PM

Peter has become soft with his old age. LOL!

Divest means to SELL!

But to answer you question, you can't do that stuff it is a illegal self-help eviction. Tenant will own property.

Post the PAY OR QUIT Notice, go to court and come back soon with an update.

June rent is not late if you give grace days.

non -payment of rent (by TE [TX]) Posted on: Jun 2, 2010 5:19 AM

Hire a flat fee eviction attorney TODAY. Once that is done do not talk with the tenant any longer. Invest in your future as a LL and read the state laws AND go to the court house and watch others so you can do it yourself in the future. Good luck.

non -payment of rent (by billy [MA]) Posted on: Jun 2, 2010 6:29 AM

we start eviction on the 5th if no rent received and think u should too if your state lets u.if u havent evicted before i would get a landlord tenant suggested by our friends above.try to get a copy of your landlord tenant laws for your state.maybe a local guy can give u some info as to title and author and where to get it.

Subject: RE: non -payment of rent
Your Name:
Your State:

non -payment of rent
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: