tenant death
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
tenant death (by Jeannene [WI]) Oct 26, 2009 7:23 AM
       tenant death (by Reid [KS]) Oct 26, 2009 7:37 AM
       tenant death (by billy [MA]) Oct 26, 2009 7:54 AM
       tenant death (by sdf [SD]) Oct 26, 2009 8:27 AM
       tenant death (by Virden [OH]) Oct 26, 2009 10:09 AM
       tenant death (by RJ [WI]) Oct 26, 2009 10:38 AM

tenant death (by Jeannene [WI]) Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 7:23 AM

State Specific Question About: WISCONSIN (WI)

If a tenant passes away during tenancy, is the lease void or can family members be held responsible for the remainder of the lease? --68.115.xx.xx

tenant death (by Reid [KS]) Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 7:37 AM

Only the person who signed the lease can be held responsible --70.252.xxx.xxx

tenant death (by billy [MA]) Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 7:54 AM

i agree .also dont let people into apt unless its the court appointed person. --208.58.x.xx

tenant death (by sdf [SD]) Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 8:27 AM

Most states, you file against the deceased's estate. Certainly you should check your state laws. Contracts usually don't end at the death of a person. --70.189.xx.xxx

tenant death (by Virden [OH]) Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 10:09 AM

You need to change the locks after the coroner or police finish, anything missing when the will is read will be blamed on you, the executor of the estate should pay you another month rent as needed until the appointed parties can clean it out. --76.241.xxx.xx

tenant death (by RJ [WI]) Posted on: Oct 26, 2009 10:38 AM

The lease is not void (unless your lease specificly addresses that situation). The family is not nessasarly responcible, the tenant is even though they have passed. In WI, after the will is filed with the county, a personal representative will be appointed. That person acts for the dead person and is in fact legally the dead person. Everything the personal representative does is as if the dead person was doing it.

If you are owed money, you file against the dead persons estate and the personal representative is required to pay you off prior to dispersing any money to heirs. In other words, you get paid first, just like if they owe money on credit cards, auto loans, utility bills etc.

You can go to the courthouse and get a form from the clerk of courts, you fill out what the dead person owes you and for what. That puts you in line to get paid. If you are not sure how much you are owed, you can estimate high or estimate up to a certain date and state that more money will be owed if the appartment is not turned over by that time. --72.69.xxx.xx

Subject: RE: tenant death
Your Name:
Your State:

tenant death
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from Mrlandlord.com every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: