Electrical Service
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
Electrical Service (by Mike [AL]) Apr 4, 2008 6:05 PM
       Electrical Service (by newbie landlord [WA]) Apr 4, 2008 6:26 PM
       Electrical Service (by ManateeAlley [FL]) Apr 4, 2008 7:26 PM
       Electrical Service (by RR [WA]) Apr 4, 2008 8:59 PM
       Electrical Service (by TJ [PA]) Apr 4, 2008 11:59 PM
       Electrical Service (by rentman [VA]) Apr 5, 2008 4:24 AM

Electrical Service (by Mike [AL]) Posted on: Apr 4, 2008 6:05 PM

State Specific Question About: ALABAMA (AL)

I had to evict a tenant 3 weeks age for not paying there rent. Once I was able to take back the property. I call the utility company and tried to get the power turn on in my name and I was told that no electrical service can be provided to the house until the balance from the last tenant bill is paid in full ($500). Keep in mind the Power service and everything was in the tenants name not mine. What can I do? --24.249.xxx.xxx

Electrical Service (by newbie landlord [WA]) Posted on: Apr 4, 2008 6:26 PM

can you not go after the tenant?? IN our state we have a law that says tht utility co. have let the owner know in 'writing' that the tenant is behind in the bill as soon as they are deliquent or they cannot deny the owner service. Check to see if you have that type of law there. --66.109.xxx.xx

Electrical Service (by ManateeAlley [FL]) Posted on: Apr 4, 2008 7:26 PM

If you have "legally" evicted your tenant you will have lots of documentation as well as a writ of possession. Present your case in person at the power company and have extra "certified" copies of the eviction order to leave with them. I'm sure they've heard the story before but with documentation you should be off the hook. Don't accept no from clerks, but keep asking for supervisors -OF- supervisors! --71.196.xx.xxx

Electrical Service (by RR [WA]) Posted on: Apr 4, 2008 8:59 PM

Mike [AL] - is this utility company public or private(IOU)? If public, the unpaid bills usually fall back on the owner and result in a property lien if not paid. For this reason, I prefer to keep these bills in my own name and have the tenants reimburse me. It avoids this type of surprise, and let's you get the tenants out before they get way behind. If private, then they should take this up with the ex-tenant in collections, and turn on your service.


Electrical Service (by TJ [PA]) Posted on: Apr 4, 2008 11:59 PM

Mike, I believe RR has it right. If you have municipal electric then its on you...which would really suck!!! I've been told this is becoming more and more common. --96.235.x.xx

Electrical Service (by rentman [VA]) Posted on: Apr 5, 2008 4:24 AM

did the tenant pay a deposit to the power co if so tell them to apply it to the bill thats what the deposit is for

i did this locally and it works

the small town that we have rentals in sells

the power and water all deposits are $300 to renters

so i have argued that the town has collected that much up front


Subject: RE: Electrical Service
Your Name:
Your State:

Electrical Service
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from Mrlandlord.com every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: