reporting debt owed
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
reporting debt owed (by mary [CA]) Dec 6, 2017 6:42 PM
       reporting debt owed (by Vee [OH]) Dec 6, 2017 6:50 PM
       reporting debt owed (by Lynda [TX]) Dec 6, 2017 10:53 PM
       reporting debt owed (by Steve [MA]) Dec 7, 2017 2:53 AM
       reporting debt owed (by myob [GA]) Dec 7, 2017 3:48 AM
       reporting debt owed (by razorback_tim [AR]) Dec 7, 2017 4:00 AM
       reporting debt owed (by Kyle [IN]) Dec 7, 2017 7:31 AM
       reporting debt owed (by plenty [MO]) Dec 8, 2017 6:00 AM

reporting debt owed (by mary [CA]) Posted on: Dec 6, 2017 6:42 PM

State Specific Question About: CALIFORNIA (CA)

Hello! My question is: Has anyone ever reported a debt to the credit companies without going through a debt collection agency? I have a resident that left me with lots of repairs and clean up and without a 30 day notice. their renters insurance denied the claim and gave them back their insurance premium money and canceled

all together. I'm finding out that collection agencies can turn it over to an attorney and in the end demand their 38% to 50% even if they didn't collect. Now I ask myself what incentive do they have in collecting from my former Resident? They owe me a little over $11,000. Small claims is up to 10K , do you all recommend I go to small claims ? I am totally lost with this since I never had to deal with this, what are your thoughts, any ideas from your experience? thank you in advance... --72.199.xx.x

reporting debt owed (by Vee [OH]) Posted on: Dec 6, 2017 6:50 PM

I would be billing to next rent cycle, when was the last unit inspection prior to discovery of this much damage? Time to talk to the manager about how this happened, small claims would be a good choice or you pay big bux for lawyer help and washes away the winnings. If you have already been thru court and were awarded a judgement then you could use the reporting agency here, the big question is do you think you can collect from these people.

reporting debt owed (by Lynda [TX]) Posted on: Dec 6, 2017 10:53 PM

Does your former tenant work at a job? It shd be on his application. Can you garnish from wages in your state?

Or, wait a month or so, then run a credit check on him again like you did before you approved him. If he got water or elec in his name at the new address, it will show on the report.

reporting debt owed (by Steve [MA]) Posted on: Dec 7, 2017 2:53 AM

To get below the $10,000.00 limit you could file 2 different small court cases. Say 1 for unpaid rent & another for damages.

reporting debt owed (by myob [GA]) Posted on: Dec 7, 2017 3:48 AM

You are lost. Indiviuals can't just send in an IOU to the credit beaures. every nut case in the country would be sending in trying to ruin their enemeys credit.

Here's the process. You have a ligite debt. You must folow through on it. Keep it simple by figuring the debt then chopping it to say 8500.00. This is your offer your making to the tenant "good will". This also keeps you in the lower court.

file your civil claim and start the civil suit through your local court. when you file the suit the credit bueraus pick that up. They receive their information from the court either daily or monthly. Now it's on their record. Remember the interest from your lease on these damages should be included at 15% so as time goes by your debt is still getting larger.

This is not a quick process but be presistant. Don't let these dead beats take you for a ride or the next LL.

Mary these people skipped out-- did you file withthe court for non payment of rent-- that would have warned the next LL's about their rental histroy.

reporting debt owed (by razorback_tim [AR]) Posted on: Dec 7, 2017 4:00 AM

If I were in your shoes I would sue for $10K in small claims court. I would rather get a judgment for $10K than file a collection on their credit report for $11K. You have a much better chance of getting your money once you have a judgment.

reporting debt owed (by Kyle [IN]) Posted on: Dec 7, 2017 7:31 AM

If they work, get the judgment. Then, follow the procedures in your court to garnish their wages. Many civil judgments will no longer be reported on credit bureau reports unless they have a matching name, address, SSN, and DOB. They must have 3 of the 4 identifiers and most judgments do not. If you want a judgment reported, you may need to use a reporting company. There is one on this site, but they pair the reporting service with collections now, I'm not sure if you can just do the reporting without the collection contract also.

reporting debt owed (by plenty [MO]) Posted on: Dec 8, 2017 6:00 AM

Get your judgement. Turn that over to a collections agency. Yes they take quite a bit but it's much easier than stumbling thru they system. They are equipped to collect. You don't have the hassle and you get more Mailbox money! --66.87.xx.xx

Subject: RE: reporting debt owed
Your Name:
Your State:

reporting debt owed
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: