FALL / WINTER MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
* Inspect for loose or deteriorated bricks or mortar, cracks, moisture damage, and missing raincaps.
* Inspect for loose or missing pieces, pay close attention to high wear areas such as water discharge to downspouts.
* Check television antennas.
* Cut tree branches away from roof surface.
GUTTER, DOWNSPOUTS & EAVES
* Inspect for blockage, leakage, paint deterioration and seam splitting.
* Inspect for loose and rotted areas.
* Should be inspected for settling and depending on your wall type:
* Inspect for deteriorated brick and mortar.
* Inspect for cracking and separating.
* Inspect for rotted, loose or damaged boards.
* Inspect for mechanical damage or loose or missing components.
* Inspect deteriorated brick, block, or mortar.
DOORS & WINDOWS
* Inspect the caulking, weather stripping.
* Replace broken or cracked glass.
* Install storm windows.
* Clean window wells.
PORCHES & DECKS
* Check for rot & insect infestation.
* Secure steps and railing.
* Test automatic door opener monthly.
DRIVEWAYS & SIDEWALKS
* Inspect for cracks and deterioration.
RETAINING WALLS AND FENCES
* Inspect for rot and insect infestation, evidence of movement.
TREES, SHRUBS AND VINES
* Cut back overhanging limbs.
* Trim back vines from wooden surfaces.
* Check filters monthly & replace as needed.
* Noisy blower section should be brought to the attention of a technician.
* Check water levels in humidifier monthly.
* Replace the pad on drum type humidifier annually.
* Activate water supply to humidifier for heating.
Hot Water Systems
* Inspect radiators & converters for leakage.
* Radiators should be bled of air.
* Lubricate circulation pumps twice during winter.
* Drain expansion tanks.
* Have electric furnaces and boilers inspected by a qualified technician.
* Inspect electric baseboard / remove combustibles.
Oil Furnaces and Boilers
* Oil systems should be checked by a qualified technician.
* Check exhaust pipe from boiler for loose, connections or corroded sections.
* Check barometric damper on exhaust pipe for free rotation.
* Clean out any debris in the chimney.
* Inspect oil tank for leaks.
Gas Furnaces and Boilers
* If gas odors are detected, call gas company immediately.
* Clean and service annually.
* Check exhaust pipe for loose or corroded sections.
* Check heat shield to ensure against corrosion.
* Check for burn marks around the heat shield.
* Inspect for water stains, rot, mildew or fungus.
* Check insulation for moisture.
* Check attic vents to ensure against obstruction.
* Watch for evidence of pests.
* Be careful walking around. Do not fall through.
* Check annually for leaks.
* Ensure that plumbing in crawl spaces will not freeze in winter months.
* Shut off outdoor fauces from the inside and drain.
* Repair leaking or dripping faucets.
To stay on top of your property maintenance year round, we recommend the following resource: MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT WORKBOOK PLUS AUDIO TAPES. And have you tried our Free Landlord Reminder Service so that you never again forget a scheduled maintenance task.